Friday, July 17, 2015

EROCK Sunrise to Sunset 2015, PWild Solo Female Mt Bike Race




EROCK chewed me up and attempted to spit me out, but I fought my way to the finish! 
After missing out on a podium finish in last years Sunrise to Sunset and placing 4th, I had to sign up for a serious comeback in 2015. A new year also brought a new race venue at The Philip S. Miller Park in Castle Rock, Colorado. A pre-ride of the course a few weeks prior to the race set my mind at ease as I was able to identify some of the more technical sections, some sandy turns, low vegetation, and tree hang-ups. I only wish I would have ridden the course in the correct direction J

Race day arrived with an early mass starting lineup, cycle cross style at 8:00 am sharp. Our estimated finish time would be 7pm with each lap course being 7 miles long. 

At the start we ran our bikes about 100 feet up trail to a set of orange cones, then jumped on, and began to peddle. The trail bottlenecked into an amazing single-track climb and since it had rained the night before I was treated to some tacky hero dirt wonderfulness. 

I was movin my first two laps!  My chain skipped a little out of tune on the start of my third lap, so I jumped off and ran, carrying my bike to the top to fix my gearing. Dirty from chain lube, I proceeded onward only to be met with some debilitating quad cramps on the climb. I could see my quad contraction under the skin like an alien attempting to escape its host in a science fiction movie. Motionless, I massaged my leg as I watched others suffering, walking their bikes to the top of the climb. Once the contractions subsided, I was back on the bike and eager to see the next transition area (TA) for an electrolyte fix!

Jason was at the TA ready and waiting to load me up on electrolytes and some much needed pickle juice. Yeah, you heard me right, pickle juice. Off I went on lap 4, which turns out to have been my slowest lap. I was behind the cramping 8-ball at this point, so it was mind over matter time. Chatting out loud, I talked my way through the rest of the race, certain the other riders thought I was delirious with my own banter. My plan was to double up on electrolytes and pickle juice, walk the 3 climbs and ride the downhills as fast as I could to make up time. This rest time on the climbs paid off, lap 5 and 6 flew past. 

It was time to put the hammer down #howihammer for lap 7 and 8. Fighting back the tears of pain, thoughts of self-doubt began to surface as I heard the race director say, due to poor weather conditions no one else would be permitted out on course. The cooler temperatures, light drizzle of rain and encouraging words from a fellow rider washed my doubt away. I got my second wind, hero dirt beneath my feet, and the lightning in the sky, I was energized, a little adrenaline at this point was just what I needed. 

Water dripped from my helmet as the rain came pouring down in buckets. Jason shoved ravioli and more electrolytes in my mouth as he pushed me out on course, yelling, “push it!” I thought stubbornly, “I feel better than I did 4 laps ago”. 

Delirious as to time and place I flew over jumps on laps 9 and 10, laughing out loud and yelling some expletives. Finishing before the cut off time with little time to spare, I completed 10 laps. “I DID IT,” I thought. I didn’t even care what place I was in, Jason never would tell me my results until its official. What a great sense of accomplishment, to do what few others dare to attempt. 

It turns out I placed second in the solo female category! Continue giving it all you got and we’ll see ya out there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment