Saturday, October 25, 2014

100 Half Marathons in 3 Years


 Yea, crazy right? This idea came on when PWild decided she needed to work on speed work.  What is speed work?  "Speed sessions aren’t about sprinting flat out. They’re about controlling hard efforts and spreading your energy evenly over a set distance or time, just like you would in a perfect race".  Speed work is not fun....so lets make a goal out of it.  Wow, speed work in 13.1 miles? LOL!  Yep, so she came up with lets do 100 half marathons in 3 years....do the math..that's 1-2-3 per month or more if willing and able!  And lets try to fit this in between all her other events.

So starting back in Jan.... .she is off.  Today Oct 19, 2014 she completed her #25.   Yep, going to have to kick it up a notch in 2015 to complete this goal.......  Now here's her thoughts...

I started running back in the day, use to be my favorite thing to do but as I get older, I get slower and recovery seems to be longer.  Cross training, Yoga and of course Hammer Recoverite have helped with that.  So keeping cost down I run 1/2's all around home in Colorado, on trail and road.  Working on speed work I try to run the first half at just over uncomfortable pace...pushing my limits and going as far as I can keeping the wheels on.  Once the wheels start to come off I back down the pace and then kick it back up at 1 mile to go, the last .4 mile is an all out sprint.....with nothing left.  I have to say.....i don't enjoy this. LOL  EVERY 1/2 I have done this past year I feel like throwing up on the way to the car.
 

 You ask why do I do this?  Well, its working and gives me a goal!  My speed is getting faster......i still don't like sprinting (red lining) next to my AR teammates during a race but this girl has to do something to get better and keep up.  Can you be "comfortable" red lining ever?  Don't think so .....but I can try to make the pain more manageable.  :)  So here's to the next 25, cheer me on whenever you see a post.  I need it because this will ALWAYS hurts.

Get out and play! Follow me!

PWild

THANK YOU HAMMER NUTRITION, SALOMON SHOES & SUUNTO!! 

1 comment:

  1. Crazy girl!

    Crazy impressive, though. :) Keep on it...you've got this!

    ReplyDelete